21.3.10

Vintage Saks Fifth Avenue dress

This is by far one of my favorite dresses in my closet. 

Dress: Vintage Saks (70's?)
Necklace: Icing
Shoes: Payless

I got the dress back in December at a vintage store that was closing down. The dress was on a mannequin and when I walked by the window I was drawn to it, like a moth to the flame. While I am clearly not the size of a standard mannequin, I just had to look. I went in the store and examined the bunched up fabric of the waist line upon the mannequin, as it turned out, the dress was too big for the mannequin....I was in luck...I  wondered if this was fate, and if it could possibly fit me. I decided to throw caution to the wind and just try it on. 
And it fit!! Even better, since the store was closing down I got it for only $20! 
Super stoked, I started to put in on the next Sunday for church and as I lifted it down over my head I heard a fateful sound of tearing polyester. Half the sleeve had just come off, the thread had completely fallen out. With no sewing machine and rudimentary hand sewing skills, I was stuck. Heartbroken, I called my mom (an expert sewer) in Alberta. She pointed out that vintage dress = vintage thread. She suggested I just get her to re-sew it all to be safe from future rips. So in January when my mom came out for a visit she took the dress back home with her, and after a month I finally came home to a brown paper wrapped box sitting at my doorstep. I was finally reunited with my dress in all it's glory. Today was finally the right day to wear it, so I was excited. I felt fab the whole day and can't wait to wear this dress again! But not until we get a chilly day. I don't think i'll be wearing a polyester dress in the summer. Wearing polyester is like wearing an oven. (That's the only drawback to this beauty of a dress.)


It's also fun to play with the skirt and spin around, too. 

4 comments:

  1. I love it! Love the shoes, love the dress. You are so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I love the action shots. xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! I totally see why you love it!! I love it!!! And the red shoes... welll you know how i feel about red shoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this dress is amazing! i could tell u love it! gotta love a dress that makes us girls feel happy and just girly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments are always welcome and very much appreciated. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...