23.2.11

Pink Shirt Day

I normally wouldn't post an outfit like this. T-shirt, jeans....nothing special here.



 Except today there is something special about the colour of my shirt. 
In B.C. It's Pink Shirt Day. "A day to wear something pink to symbolize that we as a society will not tolerate bullying anywhere."



Growing up I was constantly bullied. For my religion and my weight mostly. But the kids in my school, community, and even at church bullied me for the littlest reason (being tall, wearing glasses) no reason at all. I've been shoved in lockers, had garbage thrown at me, and been the victim of a snowball attack (I grew up in Alberta). I've been spit on, been followed home by kids yelling "fatty fatty fatty" the entire walk from school. I've been told "Why don't you just kill yourself already, do the world a favor." I've been told "Everyone hates you." "Don't bother speaking." These awful words have greatly affected me. I've always been shy and withdrawn because of it. Even to this day, I still find it hard to put myself out there due to the tormenting I received as a kid and a teen. 
I'm so glad more awareness has been brought to the issue in recent years. From experiencing teachers siding with my tormentors in elementary school, to finally having issues of me being bullied at least heard by the administration of my high school, allowed me see that change can happen. I hope things continue to change. It's still not okay right now. Kids are still being bullied and dying from it. It's an issue that needs continued attention. I hope to one day raise my children in a world where they are free to be who they are without being tormented like I was. 




I learned about Pink Shirt Day last
week from Women's Stuides after reasearching a flash mob clip we had watched in class.


  This is what gives me hope for the future. So inspiring and touching. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow. Thank you for sharing. I was also bullied as a teenage - a classmate told me he hoped I would drown in a pool of my own blood. I just wish I knew it was Pink shirt day, so I could have participated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear that. Thank you for sharing as well.
    There's always next year! ;) Hopefully pink shirt day will spread more by then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin~
    Look how far you've come, putting yourself out on the internet is a big step. I can't imagine childhood/teen years spent being bullied. My heart aches for all of those kids that aren't quite what everyone thinks they should be, because they are always the most interesting. I think you are adorable, and so ...keep your head up and own yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so sweet! Thank you so much for the support. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, Im so late... but after viewing the video.. and reading your story, I cried like a baby! Erin, IM sure that you really are "AMAZING, just the way you are" ... Enjoy your day.. and be blessed!
    Kameel
    Mrs Hall In Training

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments are always welcome and very much appreciated. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...