4.9.11

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes





When I started this blog, I wanted it to just be my outfits. A place to share my passion for dressing well with others who would appreciate it, since I feel so out of place in the manner I dress in every day life.
But as I've become more and more obsessed with the blogging world, I've wanted to share more of my life. There are times when I think "I want to blog about this!" but I tell myself I can't, as this is just a blog or outfits. But that's silly. Why not share my other talents and interests? Why censor myself? Why not let this blog change and progress along with me? So it's time for a change.

Not too big of a change though, i'll still be predominately posting outfits. There will just be a few other things i'll be sharing as well. But there will be a few changes...

Starting with the name.
Goodbye Plus Sized Pretty.
Hello, With No Letter On It.


So what's in a name?

If you recognize my name, congratulations, we can instantly be best friends. If not, that's okay. I'll explain it to you.
My favorite author, by far- is Douglas Coupland. He has the incredible ability to create worlds populated by such real characters, characters I can always find myself in, and put them in these extraordinary, out of these world experiences while still making it an undeniable reality.
My favorite of his works is Elanor Rigby.  It was one of my early Coupland reads, and it is a book where I have so clearly felt that the character on the page could be me. I always identify a bit with any book I read, (otherwise I put it down, as i'm not interested, as concieded as that might sound) but I really found myself in Liz Dunn's lonely narrative. Liz, (through Douglas), expressed so many of the thoughts and feelings i've experienced but never really been able to put into words. About loneliness. Realizing there was someone else out there who thought and felt the same way I did, it helped me not to feel so alone. Which is one of the great joys of reading.

Reading has always been there to help me not feel alone. Lately, i've found blogging to do that as well. It's near impossible for me to get to know people "out there", where extroverts rule, get the friends, the attention. Get noticed. A shy introvert like me only has the internet to communicate, really, with the exception of the few kindred spirits who bother to break through my barriers of shyness. As nice as it is to come across these people, they are few and far between, so I turn to the internet.

In the year and a half I've actively blogged I've found a great support circle. I've found support in sharing things I haven't told many I know outside the interwebs. I'm thankful for that. It reminds me I have something to share, and people to share it with.


One of my favorite quotes from the book, is
"I feel like that one scrabble tile that has no letter on it". It so perfectly sums up how I, like Liz, feel.
You know how when you're a kid everyone has their "thing"? My best friend danced. My brother played hockey. My sister played soccer, and the trumpet. My cousins all sang and did music and drama.
What did I do? In chronological order... one year of gymnastics, figure skating lessons, two miserable years of soccer (where I was on a boy's team), one day of running club, swimming lessons, one class of irish dance (these two were on the same day, and I broke my foot through doing both.), one year of tap dance, one year of voice lessons, science camp (which is so ridiculous considering my mental block for all science and math things, I just wanted to learn about animals...), another year of tap, two years of volleyball, two years of band, one year of guitar, and then finally, another year of tap. I've never been able to find my "thing". As a kid, or as an adult. My scrabble tile has no letter on it.

And neither does this blog. Instead of just being about my outfits, i'll share recipes, DIY's, design, and witty anecdotes. I'm hoping this will motivate me to be more accountable about all these projects I want to take on so I can actually finish something I start.



So thank you readers, for giving me the support over the past year and a half. I'm glad there are people who have enjoyed my blog, and I hope you will continue to enjoy what I post!

love,
Erin

p.s.
take a look at the new layout, and let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. I feel ya. My childhood was full of activities like yours--piano/violin/flute lessons, tae kwon do, swimming, jazz/tap/ballet classes, language classes, science and math prep centers (my two least fave subjects, ugh)...it was just ridiculous. And yet even after all that, I never found my "thing" either, which bothered me for some time when I had friends who had specific talents that made it a bit easier for them to figure out their futures. I don't know where I'm going with this, but I guess I just wanted to say I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels "my scrabble tile has no letter on it" either :) I really enjoyed your outfits blog, and I look forward to your posts about other fun things! And the layout looks great, love the clean, modern style~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so worried when earlier I came to your site, and blogger told me it was deleted! I'm glad this isn't the case! I grew up just about the same as you. I had two years of drama, a year of viola, a year of flute, 3 years of clarinet, a year of soccer (also on a boys team), singing in the church choir, a year of tae kwon do, a year of ballet. Now as an Adult, I've been a food worker, an assistant manager, a doula, a call center representative, a photographer, and now a style blogger. My grandma always said I could never stick to one thing. But I think it's as you said. I never found my "thing".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I get half best friend points since I recognized the song title before opening the post - but not knowing the book reference?!

    I think it's pretty neat you're making this change. Even if I don't fully get the meaning of the book, I like the quote you chose for the name. It's clever and smart and very relatable!
    I never did "outside" activities as a kid. I was always the one who was starting a club, making a craft, trying to sell crappy homemade greeting cards to my neighbors. I guess I was always the creative kid - not was, is. haha
    I never did and still don't have friends that do those things with me. But in the blogging world, those people are EVERYWHERE.
    But anywho... I know, for me, blogging has helped me figure a whole lotta things out - I'm glad that it's done the same for you and that this change will allow for more growth! Good luck on this new adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! It's comforting to know i'm not the only one. :)
    Hannah, of course you get best friend points! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments are always welcome and very much appreciated. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...