18.12.11

Christmas Time Is Here...

With Christmas readily approaching, I thought i'd share some of my favourite Christmas songs that get me feelin' festive this time of year.
To be totally honnest I kind of hate a lot of Christmas songs. The one I hate most, being Santa Baby. Who's perverted idea was it to make Santa into a sex fetish? It's creepy and beyond disturbing.
So here's what I listen to, as a pop culture junkie that doesn't really care for most carols...


I grew up on Charlie Brown. Every morning growing up I read my select favourite comic strips from the daily paper, and Charlie Brown was always first. I inherited several Charlie Brown books from the 60's, courtesy of my comic-geek of a father.  I love Charlie. His dejected viewpoint is one I empathized with early on. Charlie & co. really epitomize the reality of sadness of life, while somehow remaining light and hopeful. Which is what Christmas always is, at least for me and my family. Sad, while at the same time, light, and a bit hopeful.
I also have a soft spot for Charlie since his Christmas special is one of the very few that actually mentions what Christmas is really all about.
So "Christmas Time is Here" is one of my go-to favorites go get me feeling nostalgic for Christmas.
While I've featured the instrumental version here, the singing version sure is nothing to frown at.
It also serves as not just an idyllic Christmas song, but serves rather well in both film and television. ( I guess it makes sense then, that The Royal Tenenbaums is my favourite movie and Arrested Development is my favourite tv show.)
*Note that this A Fine Frenzy cover is also very, very, lovely.


This is by far, my favourite version of this holiday classic. Connor Oberst's quivering vocals are just so touching and sincere. The melodic piano is the perfect accompaniment. I love myself a good ballad, especially during the holidays. All my friends and family I show this song to say it's "creepy" or "depressing" but I love it.
*Note that She & Him's version also deserves a shout out. 



Another melancholic holiday favorite is River. It's a recent favourite, only added in the last year or so- but it's quickly become a favorite. Nothing beats Joni on this one. I love the hint of Jingle Bells at the beginning and the sad hopefulness Joni exudes. 


This just may be one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. I love the piano melody paired with Sufjan's beautiful, beautiful, voice.


Despite my seemingly morose musical taste (that i'm not denying I have), I do like some pep here and there.
Such as this lil' number from El Perro del Mar: Oh! What a Christmas.


Speaking of pep, this is one of my favourites from Sufjan. It just perfectly encapsulates the Christmas chaos of the gathered family experience. Yes, I know this makes two Sufjan songs on this list. What can I say. That Christmas album is just plain genius.


The Killers have put out a few Christmas singles, but this one will always be my favorite. It's just so strange and silly. Two of my favourite things in life. And this video is just plain fantastic.



Speaking of silliness, nothing makes me smile like this 80's classic. Perhaps because my sister and I sing it to one another with really silly sing-songy voices, accompanied with dance moves that are just as silly. Plus, I just can't take this George Michael seriously at all.


Speaking of silly Christmas songs, I just love this farce from Love Actually. It's one of my favourite Christmas movies and I thought this bit was hilarious.



And last, but very much not least, I can't forget to mention my ultimate all time favourite Christmas movie, The Nightmare Before Christmas. I just can't get into the season without seeing Jack discover Christmas for the first time.


And I can't forget about the SNL classic, I Wish It Was Christmas Today. Last night's reincarnation on SNL was the epitome of Christmas happiness. However, I can't watch the new one again and again like I want to, because I live in Canada and we can't watch anything on the internet in Canada!!! So if you are lucky and in the states, enjoy.



This one is a new favorite. While it's not exactly celebratory of Christmas, it's hilarious and I freaking love Community. (Though I wasn't a fan of Annie's "christmas" number. After all, ironic sexism is still sexism.)
Excuse me while I go cry at this great shows very unfortunate current predicament.

What gets you in the Christmas spirit?
If you celebrate it, that is.
If Christmas isn't your thing, what to you celebrate?

2 comments:

  1. River is one of the all time greatest songs ever, Christmas or not! When my husband and I were just friends, like 11 years ago, he and I both bought Blue to give the other as a Christmas gift without knowing it. It was really sweet. So, that album and song holds a very special place in my heart. Also, I don't know if you like the band Travis, but they do a really lovely cover of the song.
    ♡ Brooke

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments are always welcome and very much appreciated. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...