28.7.12

Fatkini

"Oh, here she goes posting yet another photo of herself in a swimsuit. She must be pretty confident in her self then..."

YES. YES I AM.

I am confident in myself, even in a swimsuit.
Even in a bikini. (Which I fondly refer to as a fatkini.)

Even at my current size of 22.


It's funny, a few years ago I lost a lot of weight and got down to a size 12 for the first time since I was in grade 5. 
That same year, I discovered Modcloth and their adorable retro bikinis. 
But instead of wearing one like I wanted to, I told myself I couldn't because I was too fat. (This was before I started my fat acceptance journey.)

And now, here I am, ten sizes bigger, proudly rocking the fatkini.


Who knows if i'll be around next year to even go to the beach?
Why not wear what I want today?

I've been searching for summer all year for a fatkini that I liked. And finally, a week ago I found this adorable top and lovely high waisted bottoms at Zellers, of all places. 

I apprehensively tried it on in the fitting room, having had no luck so far with bikinis, and I found that I loved  myself in it.

And loving yourself is really what i'm all about.

So if you're apprehensive about wearing a suit this season, just remember:

                 funny gifs

So don't let fear, or someone else's negative image of themselves effect what you do/wear, or how you act. You owe it to yourself to do what you want, NOW!



*Also, since I proclaim myself as a Mormon blogger, I thought i'd add a little disclaimer on the bikini debate:
I grew up being told bikinis were not allowed.
At girls camp, the leaders would cover rebellious girls with towels to make sure they abided by the rules. As part of our modesty standards, a bikini would logically be undesirable.
But rather than taking this guideline and flaunting my rebellion of it, I feel I am doing so in a respectful manner. Rather than:

"send[ing] a message that is contrary to your identity as a son or daughter of God" or "send[ing] the message that you are using your body to get attention and approval...." (source)

I feel that, in wearing a bikni and subverting society's expectations and standards of beauty, I am celebrating myself and the body that God has given me. I feel that in loving, rather than being ashamed of that gift, I am in alingment with Heavenly Father's wishes.
Feel free to disagree, and pray for my soul if you so desire.

18 comments:

  1. love your post, i am not comfortable myself in a 2 piece yet. but i agree with you 110 percent. and it is also true that haters will hate always. i feel so connected with you, but you are so brave and a admire that from you.
    :) maria
    maria_crafloors@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look absolutely fabulous! I am so impressed and inspired by your confidence and bravery in posting a swimsuit photo! I have only just barely started doing outfit posts out of shame for how big I've gotten (currently sz 18) when I'd always been a 6-8 until a couple of years ago. I personally am working on getting back down to a size where I feel healthier and more confident, but I hoped that outfit posts would both keep me motivated as well as help me appreciate myself the way I am now as well. All of that to say that I so appreciate confident curvy bloggers like you who look so fantastic - it is a huge inspiration and boost to my own confidence in posting personal style shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! I love that you are so confidant and happy with yourself. Life is way to short to be worried all the time. I love it :)



    followme@ www.studentswife.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look so so rocking in your bikini babe! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing, you look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Rockin' that bikini!! Love your blog and post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you go girl!!!!! your are one hot chick! i die for this suit! i am loving a high waisted retro bottom right now with a bikini top... not immodest at all in my oppinion! {in fact those high cut one pieces show way more skin!} you really look amazing!
    ~selina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally reblogged you on tumblr before I realized you were on the linkup! You look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bikini is adorable. Excellent words to boost self esteem too, and I couldn't agree with you more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!!! Such a cool, summer outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look really great! Theres a bikini for any size :D Its great seing another plus size blogger :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. cute suit! where'd you get your bottoms? i want high-waisted bottoms too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post! you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't like you, i don't like you wearing the bikini but c'mon this is your life, isn't it?
    if you are confidant and happy with yourself i'm happy too.

    a guy

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look amazing and gorgeous, fantastic choice of bikini, the black high waist bottoms really look good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look amazing! My lovely wife is also a size 22! :). There is nothing more attractive than a confident woman, and your confidence shows. Beauty is not a size, but something that radiates from a person regardless of size. Honestly I have never been a big fan of two piece swimsuits, especially immodest bikinis. I have always preferred a woman in a one piece. But I am really becoming a fan of the new high waist fatkinis. Now if I could just get my wife to wear one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Comments are always welcome and very much appreciated. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...